Two dead, several wounded in Auckland shooting

Two people were killed and several injured in a shooting Thursday morning in Auckland, New Zealand, according to authorities.

“At this stage we can confirm that two people have died,” Auckland Police said in a statement, reports CNN. “The male offender has also passed away.”

The shooting took place on Thursday at a construction site in Auckland city center on lower Queen Street, according to the police.

Armed New Zealand police officers stand at a roadblock in the central business district following a shooting in Auckland, New Zealand, Thursday, July 20, 2023.


“The offender moved through the construction site and continued to fire his firearm. Upon reaching the upper levels of the building, the man restrained himself within the elevator shaft and our staff attempted to engage him,” police said in a statement. The Guardian reports.

“More shots were fired from the man and he was located dead a short time later.”

The shooting took place on the same day that the Women’s World Cup begins in the country.

The tournament will go ahead as planned, according to New Zealand sports minister Grant Robertson.

“Aucklanders and those watching around the world can rest assured that the police have neutralized the threat and are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident,” Prime Minister Chris Hipkins said at a conference on Thursday. press.

He added that according to police information at this stage, the gunman was armed with a pump-action shotgun, and that officials believe “there was no political or ideological motive for the shooting.”

A passerby told 1 News that he was inside the building where the shooting occurred and hid inside an office.

“We just heard a massive gunshot, and then one of the guys came out of the office and ran in,” the man said.

“We ran to the back of the building where I saw a bloody helmet. We could see the guy walking around with his gun.”

Teams playing in the tournament, where New Zealand will face Norway.

“New Zealand football is shocked by the incident in Auckland CBD this morning,” the team wrote on social media. “We can confirm that the entire Football Ferns team and staff are safe, but we will not be able to comment further while details still emerge.”

“Consult the New Zealand Police for more information. Preparations for tonight’s game at Eden Park will continue as planned.”

Leave a Comment