The New Zealand team kept their cool after learning about the Auckland shooting

Chief Jitka Klimkova revealed that everyone remained calm ahead of New Zealand’s 1-0 win over Norway that opened the Women’s World Cup in Auckland, where a fatal shooting took place on Thursday morning.

The incident, which occurred in the city’s central business district near the Norway team’s hotel, resulted in three deaths, including that of the suspected gunman, with more injured in what New Zealand police characterized as an “isolated incident”. and “not a risk to national security.”

FIFA said the decision to go ahead with the match as planned was made after consultation with New Zealand authorities and the participating teams, who observed a moment of silence for the victims before the tournament began at Eden Park.

The Football Ferns opened their campaign in style as Hannah Wilkinson’s second half goal was enough to set the pace in Group A.

Klimkova said: “Today the players were preparing more for themselves and I was quite relaxed, but we still gave them the option to talk to the staff to get clarity, but I think the clarity was there, so they focused more on your individual preparation.

FIFA also issued a statement before kick-off saying they had no security concerns for the remainder of the tournament, which sees England open their campaign against Haiti on Saturday and conclude with the final on August 20 at Sydney’s Stadium Australia.

FIFA President Gianni Infantino said: “We appreciate the collaboration with the New Zealand authorities from the very beginning of this tragic incident.

“We have been involved in ongoing communication from the start, and have also received the necessary assurances from the Minister for Sports and Recreation, Grant Robertson, regarding the safety of participating teams and fans at the FIFA Women’s World Cup in New Zealand. .

“FIFA extends its deepest condolences to the families and friends of the victims who lost their lives, and our thoughts and prayers remain with those who were injured in this tragic incident.”

Robertson echoed Infantino’s assurances, saying: “This incident is in no way related to the upcoming FIFA Women’s World Cup tournament and there are no national security concerns. We have provided the necessary guarantees on the security of the tournament to the FIFA management this afternoon.

“There is a comprehensive security plan in place around our hosting of the FIFA Women’s World Cup, and we will continue to work with the police who have been part of an operational planning group for the tournament and as such have plans in place and were well placed to deal with this morning’s incident.

An earlier statement from world soccer’s governing body said FIFA was “in constant contact” with the teams involved and that they are “receiving support in relation to any impact it may have had.”

The Norway team’s hotel is located about 400 meters from where the shooting took place, but a team spokesman told the PA news agency before the match that all was quiet with the Norwegian team and preparations for the match were proceeding as normal.

Captain Maren Mjelde said in a statement: “Having been informed of the consequences, the thoughts of the Norwegian team are with those affected and their families.

“Everyone probably woke up pretty quickly when the helicopter flew over our hotel window and a large number of emergency vehicles arrived.

“At first we didn’t know what was going on, but eventually there were updates on TV and local media. We feel safe all the time. FIFA has a good security system in the hotel and we have our own security officer in the team.

“Everyone seems calm and we are preparing normally for tonight’s game, so we may have to adjust if there are any instructions from the authorities.”

Leave a Comment