Suspect arrested hours after a woman died and four were injured at the hospital

Deion Patterson, the suspect in a shooting at an Atlanta, Georgia hospital that left one woman dead and four others wounded, has been taken into custody, police said.

The arrest of the 24-year-old Coast Guard veteran comes more than eight hours after the suspect allegedly opened fire inside a waiting room on the 11th floor of the Northside Hospital building in downtown Atlanta.

The suspect was taken into custody by police at a Cobb County apartment complex around 7:45 p.m. ET after a series of sightings in the area.

(Atlanta Police)

Mr. Patterson, who has a military background, had originally attended a doctor’s appointment in the building on Wednesday accompanied by his mother, CNN reported.

Law enforcement sources told the station that Mr. Patterson was not happy with the attention he was receiving from the Department of Veterans Affairs and was trying to turn it around.

APD Chief Darin Schierbaum said Wednesday that the woman who died was 39 years old, while the other four injured women were 25, 39, 56 and 71 years old.

Heavily armed police officers proceeded to 1100 West Peachtree Street Northwest, which is a Northside Hospital facility, at lunchtime Wednesday as the violence unfolded.

All of the victims were transported to Grady Memorial Hospital, which is a level 1 trauma center.

Dr. Robert Jansen told reporters at a news conference that three of the victims transported to hospital were in critical condition, with one person undergoing surgery.

One of the patients was admitted with a gunshot wound to the abdomen and another with a wound to his arm, according to the hospital. A third critically ill patient was shot in the face and required an interventional radiology procedure, CNN says.

The Coast Guard said in a statement Wednesday that the suspect “entered the Coast Guard in July 2018 and last served as an electrician’s mate 2nd class. He was discharged from active duty in January 2023.”

During Wednesday afternoon, the search for the suspect moved from downtown Atlanta to suburban Cobb County, with a vehicle believed to have been found in a parking lot.

Leave a Comment