Jake Paul threatened to “fire” one of his employees on Tuesday, during a press conference for the youtuber’s fight with Nate Diaz.
YouTuber Paul has gone 6-1 as a professional boxer in recent years and is due to box Diaz, a former UFC star, in August.
At the first press conference for that fight, a ‘reporter’ told Diaz, 38, “Nate, I’m actually a boxer and I’ve been trying to get on this card.
“I wonder if you think I could fight your brother Nick? [also a former UFC fighter]. If she’s anything like you, I think she’d beat the crap out of him.”
Diaz replied: “Brother, what? Are you going to go to the streets or something? Do you know that all my friends see you right now? That was stupid. You deserve to get your ass spanked.”
The reporter was revealed to be “Derek from Betr Media”, a company run by Paul.
Paul, 26, chimed in saying: “He works for my company. I’ll deal with that later, I’ll fire him later. I’m sorry about that, Nate. Derek, shut up.
Derek later took to Betr’s Instagram page to share a video, in which he said, “I would like to apologize for the question I asked at the Jake Paul and Nate Diaz press conference.
“I would like to especially apologize to my boss Jake Paul, and I definitely want to apologize to Nate Diaz. Nate, please don’t hurt me, but if you do, I definitely deserve it.
“Having said all of this…Nick Diaz, the contract has been sent.”
Nate Diaz made bail last month after turning himself in to police in New Orleans, where a warrant was issued for his arrest after the American was filmed apparently choking a man on the street.
Diaz is best known for his fights with Conor McGregor in 2016. Diaz fought the Irishman on short notice in March of that year and submitted the former doubleweight champion, before losing to McGregor on points in their August rematch.
Diaz last fought in the UFC in September, submitting Tony Ferguson before leaving the company.
Click here to subscribe to The Independent’s sports channel on YouTube to see the latest sports videos.