Alex Iwobi salvages a point for Everton in a draw against relegation rival Leicester

Alex Iwobi salvaged a point for Everton in a thrilling 2-2 draw with Leicester.

The forward took advantage of Jordan Pickford’s crucial penalty save as he saved James Maddison to make it 3-1 just before half-time.

Dominic Calvert-Lewin’s penalty opened the scoring, his first goal since October, before it was disallowed by Caglar Soyuncu.

Jamie Vardy’s goal put Leicester ahead and Maddison missed the chance to put the hosts in control, with Iwobi equalizing shortly after the restart.

Everton also lost captain Seamus Coleman to a serious injury which further compounded their problems.

Realistically, a point did little to help either side’s Premier League survival hopes anytime soon, although it did knock Leicester out of the bottom three on goal difference. Everton remain in second place, one point from safety, with four games remaining.

May 2 marks the seventh anniversary of the Foxes’ Premier League triumph in 2016.

Five days later, basking in glory, Leicester defeated a disinterested Everton 3-1 before lifting the title to complete their fairy tale.

Andrea Bocelli had already sung an emotional Nessun Dorma and the Toffees had given the hosts an honor guard in an electric King Power Stadium.

Fast forward and after two fifth-place finishes, an FA Cup win, a Champions League quarter-final and a Europa Conference League semi-final, the class of 2023 faced a different game against the visitors.

James Maddison missed the chance to put Leicester 3-1 ahead

(fake images)

Everton, protecting a top division status dating back to 1954, were winless in their previous six outings.

The impact of Sean Dyche, who picked up two wins in his first three games, has faded and just one more win since then has left the Toffees staring into the abyss.

If there were nerves, the visitors hid them well and only Daniel Iversen’s fabulous save denied Iwobi a first goal after Abdoulaye Doucoure’s run.

Maddison’s tame shot was picked up by Pickford on a rare Leicester attack before the Toffees took a deserved lead on 15 minutes.

It was a gift from the hosts, though, as Timothy Castagne’s moment of madness saw him needlessly push Calvert-Lewin into the box.

The forward kept his composure from the penalty spot to score just his second goal in an injury-ravaged season.

Leicester boss Dean Smith had criticized the schedule which, starting against Everton, will see the Foxes play four games on Monday nights, after all their rivals.

But defeats by Leeds and Nottingham Forest had given them the platform to escape the bottom three, one they were in danger of losing until they leveled out of thin air after 22 minutes.

Maddison’s free kick was only partially cleared and Wout Faes returned Harvey Barnes’ cross for Soyuncu to finish off from 10 yards, his first goal for the Foxes since October 2021.

It changed the direction of the game as Leicester found their rhythm to advance after 33 minutes.

As much as the Foxes had found theirs, Everton had lost their composure and Iwobi’s poor pass was intercepted by Youri Tielemans for Maddison to find Vardy.

The striker moved away from Michael Keane to circle Pickford to score. It is the first time in a year that he has scored in consecutive games.

It sparked a crazy finish to the half and only Dwight McNeil’s fine save from Iversen kept the hosts ahead.

Leicester survived again when Calvert-Lewin could only head the ball from McNeil to Iversen from two yards out, Soyuncu’s touch in the center denying the forward a simple touch.

Leicester broke immediately and Vardy fooled Keane only to hit the bar from eight yards.

The Toffees then lost their captain when Coleman was taken off with a serious injury after Boubakary Soumare’s strong but innocuous challenge.

It almost got worse when Keane handled a Barnes cross into the box, but Pickford rose to his feet to save Maddison’s poor penalty. Maddison’s penalty technique notes on the goalie’s water bottle read “stay.”

It was a lifesaver that Everton grabbed when they leveled nine minutes after the restart.

Iversen had already saved himself from Calvert-Lewin, but was unable to stop Iwobi from getting in after Faes referred to McNeil’s handing over.

With parity restored, the game continued at a relentless pace with James Tarkowski blocking Vardy’s header towards goal.

Then a frenzied finish saw Iversen deflect Doucoure’s tackle to preserve a result neither side really wanted.

Leave a Comment